JAMESON-HARRISON POST 238 HISTORY
American Legion Post 238 derives its name from two local residents that were drafted during World War II. They were Captain Joseph Deronima. Jameson of Bryantown and Master Sergeant Philip Stanley Harrison Jr of Hughesville.
"Captain Jameson was killed by sniper fire in 1945 near Linz, Germany and was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart. Master Sergeant Philip S. Harrison was on bombing raids over Tokyo and Osaka, Japan. He was a gunner instructor on a B-29 and trained many troops, including Captain Clark Gable. Sergeant Harrison was listed as Missing in Action in 1944 when two B-29s collided over the Pacific Ocean and was declared dead on June 1, 1945. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those families of the two men and all families who have lost loved ones during the war."
The Post Charter
"In 1947, forty World War II veterans organized the Post and became the original charter members. Today, a few still remain active in the Post. The first meetings were held at the old Hughesville Café and later at the Hughesville Fire Station.
"The American Legion charter was received on October 9th, 1947. Seven acres were purchased from Catherine Chappalear and clearing of the land was started by Post members in 1956, using equipment donated by the La Plata Army National Guard. The original Post was built by Cleveland Herbert of Hughesville for $18,500."
"In 1963, an additional hall was added to accommodate 250 people for $11,000. A kitchen was added in 1964 followed by two restrooms, a storage room and an office in 1981. In 1986, an additional hall was added for $40,000 as a result of increased membership. In 2002, the State of Maryland notified us that a bypass would be constructed around Hughesville. The old Post home, being in the projected right of way was purchased and demolished. The Post Memorial was moved in December 2004 and the old Post was closed on January 16th, 2005. We purchased land approximately 2 miles from the old Post in the Fall of 2002 from in the name of Joseph and Nellie Thompson at the corner of Maryland Route 381 and 231. We broke ground in Spring of 2004 and opened for business on February 16th, 2005. Two major support organizations; the American Legion Auxiliary Union and the Sons of the American Legion Squadron are also aligned under the Post."
"American Legion Post 238 is a non-profit organization. Any funds generated during Post function is donated to various charities like Children's Hospital, National Disaster Relief, Hughesville Little League Baseball, and the Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad. The Post also sponsors Boy Scout Troop 908."
"We take pride in our organization and hope that it continues to grow and flourish for years to come."